In the previous article, we compared six middle cleansing oils which are favorite. Continuing this series, we will review 6 types of cleansing oil from the mid-range like DHC, Fancl to higher grades such as Caudalie, Sulwhasoo, Three and Shu Uemura.
Let see if the effectiveness and ingredients of each type is really worth the money you spend.
DHC Deep Cleansing Oil
The main ingredient is olive oil, so the DHC is quite thick. It’s very good in Emmi’s skin (oily combination skin) and editor’s skin (dry skin, dry combination skin), not greasy, no irritation; however, if you are allergic to olive oil, or your skin is too oil, you should test it carefully.
In addition, DHC also contains vitamin E, rosemary oil which is both moisturizing and anti-inflammatory.
Blogger Flour and Flower said “I highly appreciate the convenience of DHC Cleansing Oil because I only need to clean my face once with this cleansing oil, instead of using two separate cleansing steps. Especially in winter, DHC cleansing makes my oily combination skin clean and smooth.
DHC can thoroughly clean makeup, including mascara or waterproof eyeliner. In addition, after cleansing with water, the skin becomes softer and smoother, not as intense as using soap-based products.
The price is very reasonable, the only minus point of this product is it’s not suitable for oily skin, in summer.
Price: $30 / 200ml, $14 / 70ml
Fancl Mild Cleansing Oil
- Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Butylene Glycol Diisononanoate are two synthetic esters of Cetyl Alcohol – a fatty alcohols, not harmful to the skin, unless you are allergic to this ingredient. To learn about alcohol in cosmetics, you can refer our previous articles.
- Caprylic / Capric glyceride is a fraction of coconut oil and glycerin, there are opinions that it cause clogged pores, but I don’t think so.
- Meadowfoam Seed Oil: This oil helps moisturize, anti-aging, protect the skin from the effects of UV radiation and control sebum.
- Some derivatives of silicone such as Diphenylsilyl Phenyl Trimethicone and Dimethicone
- Tocopherol – vitamin E: moisturizing, anti-aging.
- No flavoring or preservatives.
The oil is not too loose, thicker and heavier than the Uemura Shu but looser than DHC. Easy to massage and after washing the skin is not oily.
The first impression is the oil is very soft, easy to massage as a cover on the skin, because there’s Dimethicone in the ingredients. Secondly, the oil is odorless, super pure. Especially, the oil do not burn your eyes, so you can use it for eyes and lip.
In terms of makeup remover, the oil completely cleanses the sunblock, makeup including eyeliner, waterproof mascara, matte lipstick and even color lasting tint.
Unlike other facial cleansers that I used before, Fancl claims it can be used both dry and wet, so I tried and see the effect between wet and dry is the same.You do not need to add water to emulsify after massaging just wash with warm water. But because of the habit I still do that step, and also see the oil turned into milk. After washing, the skin is not greasy, hissing or dry, but moisturized and soft.
Fancl Mild Cleansing Oil is very good in quality, suitable for all skin types, especially suitable for dry skin. However, the price of $21/120ml, use in 1 month and a half (2 pump each time) is still high.
Caudalie Makeup Removing Cleansing Oil
- Coconut oil and Sweet Almond Oil have a moisturizing effect because of high Oleic Acid
- Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride: Oleic Acid 4.39% – Linoleic Acid 0.95%
- Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil: Oleic Acid 66.6% – Linoleic Acid 24.8%
- Sunflower seed oil, castor oil, removes dirt and grease without lubrication due to high Linoleic Acid
- Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil: Oleic Acid 30% – Linoleic Acid 59%
- Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil: Oleic Acid 3.93% – Linoleic Acid 4.32%
- Grape seed oil has always been a prominent ingredient in all Caudalie products. In addition to being able to nourish without clogging pores because of Linoleic Acid 70.6%, Grape Seed Oil is also praised for its ability to regenerate the skin.
Caudalie Cleansing Oil is a liquid, clear, light yellow, and a very pleasant natural fragrance. For facial cleansing (not include eyes), I will use 2 pumps, if the lipstick is dark, then one more pump..
I tried with a matte lipstick and the result was good, not only clean, but very gentle, and after using do not feel dry, (about skin care it may be equivalent to SK-II Cleansing Oil, and better than DHC – but of course more expensive.)
The product is suitable for all skin types but the price is quite expensive and slightly difficult to buy.
Price: $ 28/100ml excluding taxes and ship.
Sulwhasoo Gentle Cleansing Oil
- Isopropyl palmitate: This is an ester of isopropyl alcohol and palmitic acid, which plays a role in softening the skin. Since this substance is made from coconut oil, there are many opinions that it can clog pores, however, there is no clear evidence, and it is not refined coconut oil. There is no problem with my skin, but if your skin is sensitive,you should still test carefully.
- Some softeners, such as Pentaerythrityl tetraethylhexanoate, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, Pentaerythrityl tetraisostearate.
- Natural herbal extracts such as:
- Apricot kernel oil rich in vitamins A, C, E, soothing, moisturizing and anti-aging.
- Spirodela Polyrrhiza Extract: extracted from duckweed, helps to balance skin.
- Squalane: moisturizing, balancing the oil on the skin.
- Camellia seed oil: rich in vitamin E and antioxidant, moisturizing. This oil also helps to remove wrinkles.
- Sesame seed oil is rich in vitamins and minerals, contains properly balanced Oleic and Linoleic Acid (slightly higher Linoleic Acid), suitable for combination skin.
- Extraction of Mandarin and Semen Coicis, deep cleansing in the pores, stimulates skin circulation.
- Fragrant, if you are sensitive to odor you should avoid this product.
It is slightly opaque, slightly lighter than DHC, but thicker than Fancl and Caudalie Cleansing Oil. It’s soft and smooth, easy to massage; like other cleansing oils, meet water will emulsify, change to white milk.
Normally I do not makeup, only use sunscreen. This week I went out on a date, so I maked up. When I use Sulwhasoo cleansing except of lipstick, all the background, eyeshadow, eyeliner, waterproof mascara are washed away. I especially like oil on the skin, not greasy, easy to massage, do not burn my eyes so I use it for the eyes, too.
This product has a lot of moisturizing components so after washing with water, the skin is not dry, it’s soft and moist. This product is suitable for both dry and oily skin, except those who is too sensitive to fragrance.
Price: $39/ 200ml, with premium brands like Sulwhasoo, It’s pleasant and very good quality for this price.
Three Cleansing Oil
The main ingredient in Three Cleansing Oil is mild, antioxidant oils suitable for oily skin, including Jojoba Oil, Tea Seed Oil, Rosehip Oil and Argan Oil. When every body against air pollution, the use of antioxidant-rich oils become more and more important.
In addition, Three Cleansing Oil contains a range of essential oils, including marjoram, rosemary, frankincense, sweet orange, bergamot. Consider if your skin is sensitive to essential oils, especially bergamot oil, which makes the skin more sensitive to sunlight.
This oil is quite loose, as I feel it is slightly lighter than Shu Uemura. So, Massage Three Cleansing Oil on the skin quite easily.The aroma is quite good with many herbal aromas especially rosemary, bring the feeling of freshness. In contrast, this mixture is easy to sting your eyes so pay attention if you want to remove eye makeup with Three Cleansing Oil. Normally, if I makeup heavily, I will use eyes and lip make up remover.
The quality is quite good, with the matte lipstick or waterproof eyeliner you have to massage for a long time.
The biggest downside is stinging eyes and there are a lot of essential oils, sensitive skin should note.
Price: $40 / 200ml
Shu Uemura Ultime 8 Sublime Beauty cleansing Oil
Shu Uemura cleansing oil is so popular, this brand has many lines and I also made the comparison of the four most common types; within the scope of this article, I choose only one representative product which is the best in my opinion.
Ultime8 is extracted from 8 natural vegetable oils (jojoba, corn, ginger root, rum, soy, camelia, olive, shea butter). However,I don’t care about skin nourishment of cleansing oil, just good cleansing and do not cause dry skin is okay. The most special feature of the brown version is completely free of mineral oil.
It is almost colorless, only slightly opaque; is still a loose texture but thicker than 3 previous products. Many people do not like the smell of brown Shu but personally I like this smell.
Shu uemura’s Ultime8’s cleansing and removing ability is slightly better than the others. Easily remove makeup layer including waterproof products, mattte lipstick. It is also gentle.. To easily remove the waterproof eye liner, you should put the oil in cotton and then wipe lightly, in only one direction, avoid re-wipe several times. After cleansing, the skin will be moisturized and cleaned. This product is suitable for dry or normal skin.
The only downside is that the price is very high
Price: $60 / 150ml